Maybe you’re young, or you came out of the closet at a later era also you’re new to the Lesbian Community. Maybe you are a family member of a lesbian as well as an ally. Like any number of people, the lesbian community has a shared set of phrases that they utilize to refer to their identities, behaviors, roles, and much more. Lesbians, like any other individuals are within their group a diverse and varied group. When first learning about lesbian subculture, particularly in case you’re a lesbian, the amount of info to learn can be overwhelming. This is a quick list of terms that are certain to the lesbian community. You will find many more terms relating to lesbians and the lesbian, bisexual, gay, and transgender (LGBT) group as a whole.
Before defining terms relating to lesbians, the phrase lesbian must be determined. A lesbian is a homosexual lady, a woman who loves and is sexually attracted to girls. A lesbian is just not a lady who dates females until the right guy comes along, or even a female who is sexually attracted to girls if there aren’t any males around.
Those 2 examples of females will fall under the meaning of bisexual, nevertheless, they wouldn’t explain all bisexuals by any means.
One) Baby Dyke A new lesbian a newcomer to lesbianism, who is often immature.
Two) Butch a lesbian which has masculine appearance and manners who usually identifies with stereotypically masculine pursuits.
3) Drag King A lady dresses like a male often in a performance. While drag kings can be straight, drag shows with drag kings as well as queens (males dressed as women) are popular in the gay and lesbian community.
4) Dyke- Another term for lesbian. Occasionally a derogative term. But of late lesbians have reclaimed this particular term and work with it to be an expression of strength and power. This’s a term just folks in the in staff (LGBT community) ought to make use of.
5) Femme A lesbian who’s feminine look and manners and that identifies with stereotypical womanly activities.
Six) Gold Star or perhaps Star Lesbian- A lesbian that has never ever been with a man. This’s a rarity since many lesbians have been with men in the past mainly because they didn’t know they were lesbian or perhaps they were afraid to come out due to a homophobic society.
7) Lip Stick Lesbian- A lipstick lesbian is similar to a femme lesbian but she is much more girly. She may wear dresses and make-up. Some say that lip stick lesbians are only attracted to other lipstick lesbians, while remaining energy sources don’t support that.
Eight) MTF- is a male that has transitioned into a female. Also known as a trans woman, or simply a woman. While a lot transgender men who transition into girls are not lesbians most are. There is heated debate as to whether these people should always be included within the lesbian community.
9) Sapphic- Of or perhaps connected to the Poet Sappho. In the 7th Century B.C.E. Sappho was obviously a lyrical Poet from the Island of Lesbos. Her poems had themes of female homosexuality. The word lesbian derives from the word Lesbos.
10) Soft Butch- A soft butch like a butch has some masculine characteristics especially in dressing and way, but might be a little bit more androgynous or perhaps even feminine on the interior. Chap stick lesbian is yet another term for a soft butch lesbian.